Thursday 23 March 2017

Furballs and Butterflies :D

I knitted socks for a few years now.  First started with a very basic pattern with picking up stitches and short rows heel. It was not my favourite way of making socks. I preferred afterthought heel.  It is much easier in making the heel and in designing the general pattern as well. One of the drawbacks is the fitting around the heel area which takes a bit of getting use to.



As for Upward CAT, the heel area is still a concern for me. I have tailored the heel opening for a better fit and also a sturdier appearance with using the 1 x 1 ribbing to appeal as a gift. The infamous rolling edge of the stockinette stitch might taken some beginners knitters by surprise. My first prototype is without the ribbing on the sole section and now I have been wearing the socks for two days, I have no problem and once putting the socks on, the rolling edge seems to be tamed immediately (I did not wet or steam block the socks, oh well, I do "natural" blocking by wearing them lol).

I came up with this idea and pattern because the furballs at home is already planning for Christmas and would like to give their favourite auntie a pair of socks. The intarsia pattern is inspired by them, and featuring cat, heart and butterfly. I always like "3D knitting" (my interpretation: making bumps on the knitted surface for texture lol) and the butterfly came out better than I thought. In term of colour choice, I will suggest two contrast colours. I tried with variegated (cat / heart) and solid main colour and it did not show case the pattern that well. I think maybe solid colour for cat / heart and variegated for the main colour might work better.

 

All the specialty cast on / bind off, techniques and stitch are readily available on the internet when you google.  If you are new to button hole making, the gap mending I am talking about in the pattern might not make sense to you, but if you are a avid socker/ mitteners, you will be able to apply your experience in this case. Now that I have the pattern written out, it is time for testing.  Thank you in advance for assisting in the test :)

No comments:

Post a Comment