Monday 20 February 2017

How cool is your cat?!

Cool Cat is my latest knitted cat toys pattern inspired by the self entertainment writing between me and my friend, Cornwall. What could be cooler than my magical cat in the story, Oscar, laying on his back, putting on his sunglasses and sun tanning.



It is a seamless design with the tail sewn on. It is a good knitting work out for advance beginners to practice knitting in rounds (instead of the old boring scarf with 4 row pattern repeat :p) The cast on and bind off as well will be challenging but not to the point of mission impossible for advance beginner level; and since everything is in small scale, so it is much easier to handle compared to trying out in larger projects like hats or mittens.



This is my first pattern tested by volunteer testers :) and they were very helpful. Through the testing, I found that the most tricky and challenging part is the final bind off which involves transition from 3 needles bind off to Kitchener stitch. Most testers read the Round's instruction too fast and completed the work with 3 needles bind off from ear to ear. There is nothing wrong with it. I can see it is logical and easy to keep on doing the same bind off to the end, but the 3 needles bind off leaves a ridge / seam that could be improved by switching to Kitchener stitch. The transition from front to back will look totally seamless.

So I add a mini photo tutorial to assist the knitters to complete the bind off and learn a new trick :D All the resources on the other knitting techniques used in this pattern, they will be very easy to search on the internet.


As you are familiar with the pattern, you can use variegated yarns or intarsia to customize the look according to the intent recipient (above, right is my Moo Moo :D). I particularly enjoy posing the cat tail at the back as we all cat lovers know how expressive the cat tails are.

From the cat's prospective, Cool Cat has a big tummy to hold a lot of catnip for hours and hours of enjoyment.


The pattern is now available for sale at in my Ravelry store
Happy Knitting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment